Last week I was flooded by questions about what is event management. I recalled writing about event management definition way back. Still this question occupies my mind. So I conducted a research and selected definitions that I find acceptable to my standards that I can share to others.
1. Event planning is the process of planning a festival, ceremony, competition, party, concert, or convention. Event planning can include budgeting, establishing dates and alternate dates, selecting and reserving the event site, acquiring permits (alcohol permits, insurance licenses, etc), coordinating transportation and parking, developing a theme or motif for the event, arranging for speakers and alternate speakers, coordinating location support (such as electricity and other utilities), and arranging decor, event support and security, catering, emergency plans, aid stations, and cleanup. Event management is the application of project management to this process. (Wikipedia)
2. Event management is the process beyond planning, executing and evaluating corporate, association, nonprofit, government and social events. (about.com)
3. Event Management is the coordination, running and planning of all the people, teams and features that come together to create every kind of event. (eventbusinessacademy.com)
4. Event management is the process by which an event is planned, prepared, and produced. As with any other form of management, it encompasses the assessment, definition, acquisition, allocation, direction, control, and analysis of time, finances, people, products, services, and other resources to achieve objectives. An event manager’s job is to oversee and arrange every aspect of an event, including researching, planning, organizing, implementing, controlling, and evaluating an event’s design, activities, and production. (juliasilvers.com)
5. Event Management is a the science of planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, motivating and rewarding people or staff to attain the visionary objectives of the event producer or client. (Exlinkevents - event management philippines)
If you break down the two words Events and Management you can also get two concepts and get a better understanding of event management.
Events are any meetings or occasions. Management is the science and art of managing people to implement plans and achieve goals.
Out of these meanings you can choose any of the five meanings to give you a deeper understanding of what event management is.
Just a reminder, sometimes the map is not a territory. This means that you have to dirty your hands and be in the middle of an event in order to appreciate the meanings enumerated in this article.
So good luck to you!